This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Winter lightning

I don't believe I've ever seen that happen before.

So I'm stoking the wood stove (because yeah, it's winter, after all, and it was down around 20 below with the wind chill earlier today), and there's this bright blue-white flash behind me.

My first thought, just because it's winter, and frankly, it would make about as much sense as lightning was: what the hell? Flash bulbs? Who's taking pictures in my backyard? At 11:30 at night, no less?

Then there's this extremely lengthy rumble of thunder.

All in all, I saw three flashes of lightning, over about ten minutes, twice with thunder I could hear.

Yes, it's the middle of January, and this is Ottawa, and we're having a thunderstorm. Not with snow--it's freezing rain now--but either way, it's still durn odd.