This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Saying no

An American acquaintance of mine from some years back, a man of some wisdom, commented over dinner once that one of the notable features of the Canadians he'd worked with was that, in order to say no, they'd simply avoid saying yes... And that this occasionally led to communications breakdowns, when his other staff (usually American) misunderstood, thinking that since the Canadian team to which he'd been talking hadn't actually directly said no, he had their full agreement.

This, of course, I find myself thinking, also reflects an American peculiarity (or, at least, the peculiarity of this particular American)—in that certain other folk, methinks, wouldn't have presumed quite so much. But either way, it's a good insight. Thought of it the other day when another old acquaintance left me a message which, apart from some social conversation, asked if I've any freelance cycles available.

I haven't. So when I answered his message, I just didn't address that particular question.

Didn't wanna say no, see?

In my case, I think this is probably also some weird Scottish/Protestant work ethic thing going on... Somehow, the idea of actually saying 'no' to someone who'd like to hire you, and, eventually, presumably pay you for it is awfully uncomfortable for me. Had a grandfather who, I sometimes suspect, would probably have simply given up sleeping entirely for years at a time before saying no to paying work. And never mind that it's physically impossible, y' greet baby. It's the principle of the thing.

Had to, tho', this time. Principles or no, I'm not getting much sleep as it is. Right now, one full-time job, it seems, is all my body's up to. And some days, even keeping that up, with the infant at home and the other duties of life, is a near thing.

I can do this:

N...

N...

N...

N... o.