This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Typical male

... mostly, anyway.

So I took the BBC's Brain sex test thingy, following a link at Judith Berman's LiveJournal.

Mostly, no real surprises. It seems to think I'm a typical but not extreme male, at 50 overall toward the male end of the scale, which is apparently average for my sex. Extremely strong spatial ability. Probably nothing surprising there, given my background.

The one really odd result: it found I'm an unusually accurate observer of emotional states in others (9/10, apparently). Unsurprisingly, this is thought to be a female trait, though it looks like their own averages don't actually support this (both sexes average 6.6).

Cool. That's gotta be useful for something.

Other odd thing: a finger length metric which kinda contradicts the theories. It's supposed to indicate testoesterone levels in the womb during your development, and this is, apparently, generally higher for males, highest for those with lots of brothers.

I've got one sister, two brothers. But my fingers, for what it's worth, suggest lower prenatal testosterone exposure than is average even for females.

Go fig. Averages and deviations, you know.