This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Narcissism

Me
Me
Me
Me
Me
(Alternate title: 'See... I can too take physical form')

Did some self-portraiture this aft. And, 'cos as far as I'm concerned, ya can't have too many pictures of me on this site, a few of the results are to the right.

I have an excuse: I had to come up with a few headshots for a new web gig I picked up (how images of me are supposed to be good for traffic, I dunno, but it's in the contract), and as the Daddy in the family unit, there really aren't a lot of recent pictures of yours truly on file. Mostly 'cos, when the cameras are on, it's usually me operating them.

So I set up a tripod, fired up the mini-DV, mugged in front of it a few minutes, sucked the footage into one of my Debian boxes (mini-DV cameras are all digital, and have Firewire on the camera, making this very easy), and grabbed some stills from it. Fine for web stuff (at a resolution of 720x480 pixels), and less trouble than messing around with a self-timer on a still camera.

Not bad, if I do say so myself. Though next time, I guess I gotta keep in mind that white shirts and the sun do not a happy exposure make. Ya'd never know I used actually to get paid for shooting photos. Think I'm just gonna claim I was actually trying to get that weird otherworldly glow thing going.

(That's our crabapple tree in the background, by the way—along with one of our more seriously out of control flower beds. If I look nervous, it's because I'm afraid that, at any moment, the Virgina Creeper that's been staging a determined invasion from over the south fence might actually try to strangle me.)