This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Rejected endings to Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey"

(... also from the sent mail file ...)

"My God, it's full of Twinkies!"
"My God, it's full of vague, quite possibly meaningless symbolism!"
"My God, one of the grips fell asleep in here!"
"My God, it's full of nougat!"

In other news, I just realized I wrote a column more than ten years ago in which I made fun of a tabloid pyschic predicting the election returns for Arnold Schwarzenegger's presidential campaign. Granted, they missed by about a decade (they thought he was going to run that year) and a level of government. But still, now I'm nervously trying to remember what else I made fun of around then.

The LA Times complained in their election day editorial that Schwarzenegger was basically campaigning using lines from his movies (other than, of course, the rushes from the documentary in which he allegedly spoke well of Hitler, the footage of which, of course, he purchased to use to heat his home). But let's face it. It's hard to find a speechwriter who can string together monosyllables with as much panache as did Cameron's Terminator crew. Mostly because the White House has already hired all of them, but I digress.

Anyway, I feel it's important that every continent should have a place like California. And that it be on the opposite end of that continent from me.