This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Monday, February 07, 2005

Well, that's a relief

So my doctor tells me the odd pains I was getting in my chest climbing stairs and the like during the last few months are actually just a bit of damage to my lungs, up at the top where they meet the rib cage; seems I must have torn things a bit during a bad chest cold a few months back, and it's still a bit inflamed. Nothing much to worry about, and should probably settle down in another month or so, apparently.

In a word, phew. Yes, I'm pretty young for heart trouble, and I know this, and didn't really consider it all likely--but it does run in my family, on both sides. Had an uncle that had a heart attack at 50. And as often as you tell yourself: oh come now, a mere whelp like you is about as likely to be hit by lightning as to have an MI, it's still an unsettling feeling for a mostly healthy guy, when nasty stabbing pains arise in the general area even after moderate exertion.

So hey, a little lung damage, that's an awfully welcome diagnosis, pretty much. I'm calling this a win.