This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

A word or two from 1886

Bizarre. Been reading a lot of nattering about the lawless conditions in the disaster area. Some of what's going on, sure, it's over the top. But did I really hear people proudly chiding (presumably from their nice, comfy, non-flooded homes) about looting in New Orleans, just now?

A word or two, from 1886:
What is hateful...is not rebellion but the despotism which induces the rebellion; what is hateful are not rebels but the men, who, having the enjoyment of power, do not discharge the duties of power; they are the men who, having the power to redress wrongs, refuse to listen to the petitioners that are sent to them; they are the men who, when they are asked for a loaf, give a stone.

— Wilfrid Laurier, commenting on the Riel Rebellion

Or, translating for the 21st century:

After two days without fresh water, my kids clutching at their throats in the heat of the gulf summer, figuring I've got maybe another day, tops, before I'm too dehydrated to piss, and still wondering if anyone in the rest of the world gives a rat's ass I'm up to my ankles in sewage, you bet your ass I'd loot a Safeway.

And honey, you would, too.

Seriously. This ain't no time to be commenting on anyone's manners. Apart from the twits shooting at rescue crews (now there's a survival strategy), I'm at a loss to figure why anyone gives a shit what anyone still in there is doing with their apparently ample free time. Get 'em out of there, is all.

(All that said, I really should say something about the good people who are actually getting it done now. Something like: good for you.)