This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Monday, October 18, 2004

Going upriver

I saw George Butler's Going Upriver yestereve--did the BitTorrent thing, downloaded it.

Not a bad little film. And honestly have to say, the more I find out about John Kerry, generally, the more I like him.

I mean, I've the same healthy suspicion a lot of folk have, I suspect, with regard to people seeking public office--and, I suppose, the same low expectations--the expectation that probably, anyone with the acumen to get anywhere has developed entirely too good a game of playing to the gallery, and might have a poor to iffy relationship with their conscience at best.

And I'm not saying some of that isn't true of Kerry--as is the usual game in an election year, he and his party seem so determined to strive for the middle that one wonders, at times, what the real distinction between them and their principal rivals will be (less annoying, slightly less arrogant, somewhat less incompetent, I'm hoping, really, and anything else is pretty much gravy).

But that film, there's a few things in there. It's nice to see the man proved he had principles at one point. As to courage, there ain't much question there at all. Ballsy guy, then and now, really.

Reassuring. The US could do a lot worse. Sure, he's kinda a mass market product now. But at the very least, it would appear he's actually based on a true story...

So go John, go. I got a feeling you're gonna make a pretty damn good president, as presidents go.

Oh, and yeah, I did go looking for Stolen Honor too, thinking hey, at least I might give it a viewing (and then probably fisk the livin' daylights out of it, sure). But no dice. They want money for an online viewing, and no one's putting up torrents. So nothing to report on that yet. Ain't no way I'm payin' for my propaganda.