This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Saturday, October 02, 2004

Mmmmmm...

Myself and my lovely wife made it to a Gala at the NAC this eve.

Ver' nice. Yo-Yo Ma, Pinchas Zukerman, and Viviane Hagner doing Glinka's overture from Russlan and Ludmilla, some Tchaikovsky (which, honestly, I never seem to get into), Faure, Saint-Saens, and Brahms' concerto for violin and cello in A minor (Op 102).

Yo Yo Ma, also to be honest, isn't really my kinda cello guy. Had a teacher a while back who probably predjudiced me a bit on this score--always complained Ma was too much of a showman, really grumbled when I told him I was listening to some of Ma's recordings of the Bach suites ("You will listen to Casales!", he growls, imperiously, in his still fairly heavy Russian accent). But it was impressive, all the same. Really liked Hagner's sound, and she and Ma really made the Brahms sing, to my (not especially educated) ear.

Gotta get out to this kinda thing more often, I really do.