This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Friday, April 08, 2005

Sonofa...

.. insert vast, entertaining, and varied string of profanity, rich in lurid, graphic anatomical and sexual references and copious amounts of blasphemy offending the sensibilities of all major religions (along with several minor ones) here...

So, so far, the only actual feedback I've got on the manuscript I sent into that critical circle is that the name of the protagonist is the same as that of a principal character in the 1973 Newbery winner Dark Is Rising...

It's gotta change, sadly, obviously. Latter work is also YA/F stuff, and, also obviously, quite well-known (and never mind that I'd never heard of it), so there's just no way I can keep that name.

But dammit, I'm gonna miss it. I'd really got to know and to like the character under that name... gawkiness, awkwardness, misanthropy (and occasional psychoses) and all...

Ah well... Guess I need a new name...

And this time, it seems to me, I'm gonna have to stay well away from those nice, generic English boy names... I need something whose odds of overlapping randomly with another known literary character are effectively zero.

So: the erstwhile Will's new name is now: Willard Clarence Emil Hossenfeffer Bluntenpluto Boutrous-Boutros Klaus Witherspoon-Leclaire-Vespucci-Bunyon...

...the Third.

Either that or Heathcliff. Has that been done?