This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Das Boot

(... In which our hero sleeps through portions of one of the best films ever made.)

Wound up watching the movie U-571 a few weeks back--a movie I probably never would have bothered with--long story as to why I did actually see it--and no, I can't say now that I have seen it that I thought it was anything special. In any case, I got to thinking I really should get around to seeing Das Boot--a film I'd often heard cited as one of the best war films--and even just one of the best films of any genre--ever made. I'd never seen it, but then I'm not a big war movie guy.

So I rented it on DVD. But made a bit of a miscalculation. I'd picked up the 'uncut/original' version--and apparently, the original version was a miniseries.

So it's just a few minutes shy of five hours long.

This wouldn't have been such a problem except that I started watching it a little after 10 pm (I have a young daughter; this is pretty much when I get to watch movies, if it's going to be something involving quantities of terror and death deemed inappropriate for three year olds--and in which the terror and death are not periodically interrupted by musical numbers, a la Disney).

Anyway. The parts for which I was actually awake were entirely unforgettable. Great film. I think.