This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Eco

Rereading The Name of the Rose again. It had been a while.

Eco's one of those few writers I will read again and again. I've also got Foucault's Pendulum, The Island of the Day Before and Baudolino in here; every single one of them has spent time on night tables, dressers, in the bathroom, to be picked up, read for a few chapters, then put down. It's just possible that despite Pendulum's reputation as the most-bought/least-read novel of all time, I've made up for it by now by reading my one rather worn copy once for everyone who didn't read theirs. Marvellous stuff.

Heard Eco speak once, in Ottawa, years ago. He's (I suppose unsurprisingly) a pretty good speaker too.