This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Firefox... s'awright, I guess

Trying out v0.9.3 (as built by the fine people at Backports) on one of my many Debian boxes. I've been hearing so much about this browser, figured I'd give it a chance. And I now run enough sites I figure it's about time I had it around for compatibility testing.

Took some messing about to get it to run, nothing untoward, really, as browsers go. Had an XServer auth problem on first start which is apparently fairly common, had to get a new theme to keep it from crashing out when certain new dialogs came up (I kid you not--if I were so brave as to open the 'Open File' dialog, thump, down she goes, all windows gone, complaints fluttering back into the dialog windows to the effect of 'BadPixMap'.)

(BadPixMap. Bad. Bad. Sit. Sit! Staaaaay...)

Anyway, it was two minutes of tweaking or so to fix it all; I'm an old Debian guy, nothing much scares me. And now it's behaving well enough, and it is a nice little browser.

So s'awright, I guess. But it still ain't Opera. Still seems slowish. And lacks mouse gestures.

I mean this. If you're a serious surfer, for fun or profit, you want Opera. You really do.

(Update: Oh, you can get mouse gestures as a plug-in. That's a good thing...)