This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Hassling spammers for fun and profit

So I got one of the Nigerian-style fraud emails a few minutes ago (though this one, technically, by the TLD, seems to come from Denmark, it's the same basic 'you've won much money; please send us your personal info so we can con you out of sending us your life savings and/or do some identity theft stuff' thing).

Normally, I ignore these. I get so many. It's the background noise of the net, when you've got email accounts linked to highly public addresses, as do I.

But somehow, today, I decided I was in the mood for some correspondence with a Danish con artist. I like to enlarge my circle of acquaintances, now and then.

So I responded. The spam (or an excerpt thereof) and my response follow:
From: Anthony Arinze
To: C8H10N4HO2O2
I am Barrister Anthony Arinze a legal prationer, a personal lawyer to my client late Engr Willy Bubenik who made a bequest to you.I am very happy to contact you and also would like speak with you. however , I now write on behalf of the Trustees and Executor of the estate of Late Engr. Willy Bubenik, I once again try to notify you as my earlier letter to you through the Post Office was returned undelivered. I hereby attempt to reach you via your e-mail address...
From: C8H10N4HO2O2
To: Anthony Arinze
Ya know, dude, if you're really gonna have any hope of defrauding anyone, you're really gonna have to work on your spelling. Ain't no one gonna buy a presumed barrister whose legal secretary can't apparently spell 'practitioner'.
But I'll tell you what. For a modest upfront fee of 1,000 Euros and a mere 5% of future gains from this letter (off the gross, dude, as I don't feel like auditing your 'expenses'), I'll spellcheck your letter for you.
Savages in this town.
(Walks off muttering)
I'll let you know if I hear back from him.