This blog is no longer being updated. I've moved on to The Accidental Weblog. Hope to see you there.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Asleep at the switch

Yeah yeah, I know, I done been asleep at the switch on the whole Alabama sex toy law thing. I mean, I really haven't been holding up my end here, have I?

I flirt more and more with charges of false advertising. Lucky for me there are no laws in cyberville, or some square-jawed law enforcement type might be looming in the entrance to my blog this very moment, pounding on the door, demanding I improve my coverage in this area, or change my subtitle.

Well, my apologies. I been busy. Kids. Work. Sexual addiction. You know how it is. But I'll do what I can to catch up here. So, here goes:

Now, personally, I still think the real question about the various sex toy bans that crop up here and there is: what do the legislators that pass such laws find so very threatening about these devices? I've always found it rather suggestive that the concern that's expressed centres around women actually enjoying themselves with these things... Now, granted, the popular image of the sex toy is mostly as a woman's device. But, still, the focus does make me wonder:

I mean, what is it that's really got ya so worried about these things, my dear gents in the Alabama state legislature? Afraid you can't keep up, perhaps? Do the batteries in your pacemakers seem just a bit inadequate next to the big, strapping D cells in the heavy duty vibes out there, maybe?

Yeah, that's my question. But Bitch, Ph.D. raises a pretty good one too. To wit: won't someone please think of the children:
A young girl, fresh and innocent, purchases her first vibrator. She becomes addicted to sexual pleasure, masturbating constantly, and neglecting her studies and her family duties. Her hair becomes greasy and unkempt, and her eyes unfocused, and she begins to steal money to purchase more vibes. Anything, anything! to feed her habit. Next thing you know, she's lost touch with all that is Good and Holy and is prostituting herself on the street, mere pennies for a blow job, anything to earn money towards a rabbit vibe.

-- Bitch, Ph.D., Skeeered of vibrators! Ooh!

That there's greatness. Go. Read.